Job Title: Chief of Party
Place of Performance: Iraq (based in Bagdad, with 20% travel country-wide and to US)
Duration and Start Date: Three years (extendable) anticipated project for a bid that is due in early April.
Start date has not yet been specified.
Purpose of the Project:
The purpose of the Performance Management and Evaluation Services (PMES) activity is to provide a
wide range of services to USAID to enable it to effectively monitor program performance and
operational context; evaluate the performance of results of USAID/Iraq activities; and, learn and adapt
for improved effectiveness. USAID/Iraq needs to improve the quality of the Mission’s performance
management practices so that monitoring and evaluation becomes easier, faster, more useful, and
more cost-effective. The overarching goal of PMES is to improve performance management – to enable
the USAID/Iraq Mission to effectively collect, manage, and use performance information to achieve its
SREO Consulting Ltd. is looking for an individual to serve as Chief of Party (COP) to lead a potential
USAID contract in Iraq to implement monitoring and evaluation services for a wide range of services.
The COP works to ensure the contract is managed responsibly and oversees the research team’s
progress towards achieving project goals. This includes overseeing field data collection as well as the
submission of final deliverables.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee contract work plans and budgets based on expected contract outputs and, results using an adaptive management approach.
- Provide oversight and overall responsibility for all data collection, monitoring and evaluation, report generation, learning and dissemination activities, and related tasks.
- Ensure quality control and overall responsiveness of MEL technical assistance provided under the contract, including necessary adjustments to operations to fit the requirements of USAID and working environment in Iraq.
- Oversee field staff training and building local capacity for monitoring and evaluation staff.
- Identify issues and risks related to contract management in a timely manner.
- Manage project financial resources in accordance with the budget as well as USAID’s policies and regulations.
- Meet regularly with stakeholders, clients, Field Coordinators/ Researchers/ Monitors to collect and communicate client requirements, set expectations for the assigned activities.
Qualifications & Skills:
- An advanced university degree in International Development, Development Economics,
Management, or relevant subject area, or equivalent of at least 10 years in managerial and M&E experience is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of demonstrated experience in evaluation methodology, statistical analysis, and/or data collection and analysis, and familiarity with data collection is required.
- Demonstrated ability to produce and edit reports and technical documents is required.
- Demonstrated ability to convey data and findings in a concise, accessible, and visually compelling manner is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated relevant International Development sector project management experience in developing countries is highly desirable.
- Experience in the Middle East is required.
- Exceptional interpersonal and oral communications and presentation skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to assemble, quickly and effectively, and to manage a highly skilled,
interdisciplinary team is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Regional colloquial Arabic or modern standard Arabic (MSA) ability is desirable but not required.
- Experience building organizational capacity in monitoring and evaluation, dissemination and learning and/or training individuals in monitoring and evaluation is required.
- Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, including donor/development organizations, government officials, civil society leaders, community leaders and project beneficiaries is required.
- Experience living and working in challenging, stressful and potentially conflict environments is
- Familiarity with USAID’s Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) approach is highly desired.
- Experience working on USAID projects in Iraq is highly desired.
- Experience with USAID projects is required.
How to Apply: Interested individuals must send their CV, cover letter, and three (3) references to: email@example.com referencing the position in the subject line. Any questions concerning
this position can also be directed to this address.
Deadline to receive complete applications is 03 April 2020.
SREO Consulting Ltd. is an independent, non-partisan research and monitoring & evaluation
consultancy founded in 2013. We are committed to serving humanitarian, stabilization and
development actors operating in the most challenging environments around the world by providing
unbiased and actionable data, analysis and research. SREO is headquartered in Istanbul, Turkey with
offices in Washington DC, Iraq, Tunisia and Mali.