Position Title: Business Development Manager:
Location: Washington, DC (work is hybrid in-office/remote schedule at TMG’s home office. Possible 10-20% to target countries,)
Start date: As soon as possible
The Mitchell Group, Inc. (TMG), a Washington, DC based government contractor specializing in international development work, is currently seeking a Business Development Manager (BDM) at our headquarters in Washington, DC. This role calls for a well-rounded performer who thrives in a fast-paced, demanding environment with strong commitment to achieving goals and producing winning proposals.
The Business Development Manager will play a pivotal role in driving our growth and expanding our presence in the government contracting space by contributing to strategic planning, new business development/marketing, and research and development. This position will provide innovation, creativity, and strategic direction in proposal development, identifying new business opportunities, preparation of potential portfolio growth and networking opportunities. The Business Development Manager will use their experience as well as knowledge and understanding of USG agencies such as DOL, NIH, MCC, CDC, GSA, including TMG’s major client USAID, to development effective business capture strategies and produce successful proposals.
In this role you will:
- Identify and secure business opportunities for TMG through capture of new government and international development contracts or expanding existing contracts.
- The BDM will be responsible for providing in-depth research on potential business opportunities, identifying executive level decision makers throughout various agencies and large systems-integrators, discovering areas where TMG’s capabilities and specializations could create valuable relationships, making the pitch and creating proposals, and developing accounts.
- Research new opportunities via online opportunity tools such as Govwin.com, sam.gov, and ebuy.gov.
- Identify potential opportunities and assess technical capability and strategic fit, risk, competition and win probability, initial pursuit costs, and Price-to-Win (PTW) assessment.
- Assist in identifying and analyzing a potential opportunity and gathering intelligence about the customer and the competition.
- Ability to develop leads and "hit the pavement" to find new business in partners and agencies.
- Leads pre-proposal planning efforts including identifying potential new business opportunities, prioritizing bid opportunities, conducting research, and supporting reconnaissance trips to the field, identifying potential partners (U.S., local, and international partners), and leading recruitment and teaming discussions.
- Participates in formulating competitive and compliant pricing strategies and contributes to the completion of cost proposals by TMG’s Financial Management staff.
- Contributes to the recruitment of long and short-term staff for competitive bids and supports recruitment efforts with TMG’s BD staff including identifying potential candidates, interviewing, and vetting prospective candidates, and participating in final candidate selection.
- Manages and writes sections of competitive and compliant technical proposals and Sought Notices (SN) for submission to clients and other donors in accordance with RFPs, RFQs, RFTOPs, Sought Notices, and TMG’s BD strategy.
- Identify and manage BD technical consultants when needed to ensure compliance, delivery of quality products, and adherence to the terms of each contract. Ensures contract compliance, schedule of delivery, and financial performance.
- Provide support on proposals, including managing the proposal development process, compliance reviews and review and strengthening of proposals as needed.
- Support and draft technical responses to challenging donor queries as
- Conduct basic research and report writing as
- Assess TMG’s current consultant database and advise TMG’s senior management on its utility, update, upgrade and potential usefulness for recruitment and other
- Initiate strategic teaming arrangements, and draft teaming agreements, small business plans, and other adjunct plans.
- Facilitate TMG Internal Strategy
- Advise TMG Leadership on strategic decisions, new directions, and
- Advise TMG Leadership on company image and marketing issues, and TMG’s print and online marketing materials, making them concise, compelling, up-to-date and consistent with the strategic statements of TMG’s major clients.
- Analyzes new business lessons learned to integrate learning to strengthen ongoing business development and marketing
- Build professional networks and connections for TMG, to include key partners, consultants in our practice areas, as well as networking and strengthening relationships with key USG agency leaders in USAID, DOL, NIH etc.
- Draft management and past performance sections for new proposals to document the work of TMG on various projects, put in specified format, and ensure proposals meet the requirements set by the client.
- Strategic Planning: Develop and execute a comprehensive business development strategy focused on the government space, aligning with TMG’s growth objectives.
- Market Intelligence: Stay informed about the latest trends, policies, and opportunities within the Federal government sector to identify potential leads and areas for expansion.
- Relationship Building: Leverage your existing network and establish new connections with key stakeholders, decision-makers, and influencers in the government contracting arena.
- Lead Generation: Identify, qualify, and pursue high-potential leads for government contracts, leveraging your understanding of agency needs and contract lifecycles.
- Proposal Excellence: Collaborate closely with our proposal development team to craft compelling, compliant, and competitive proposals tailored to government agencies' specific requirements.
- Contract Negotiation: Work alongside executive leadership to negotiate contract terms, pricing, and agreements with government clients, ensuring mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Pipeline Management: Maintain a robust opportunity pipeline, to track progress, forecast revenue, and report on business development activities.
- Market Diversification: Identify opportunities for expanding TMG’s portfolio into new sectors or agencies, contributing to our market diversification efforts.
- Performance Metrics: Establish and meet key performance indicators (KPIs) related to revenue targets, win rates, and market share growth.
- Bachelor’s degree or Masters degree
- Minimum 5+ years of USG business development experience from capture and opportunity identification to the development and submission of compliant and winning proposals.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in writing and managing technical proposals for submission to USG-funded agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High comfort level in dealing with executive level decision makers with poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to engage with decision makers via telephone and capture their interest in TMG.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to show initiative/anticipate work that needs to be completed.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills especially MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent time management skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to learn quickly.
- Strong drive, work ethic and communication, analysis and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of the federal acquisition process, procedures, and associated regulations.
- Ability to make sound business decisions and use appropriate judgment.
- Professional, dependable, positive and energetic personality with the ability to go 'above and beyond the call of duty'.
- Experience writing government proposals, preferably for USAID, GSA, CDC, DOL, NIH or MCC.
- Track record of success winning government work either directly or through prime contractors. (Applicants should submit a list of proposals managed, written and successfully submitted during the past 5 years.)
- An understanding of the FAR and Government procurement process and vehicles.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S., at the time of application: US Citizenship/Green Card holder.
Joining our team comes with amazing perks and benefits:
- Medical/Dental/Vision coverage
- 401(k) plan + Match
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Disability Benefits (short term and long term)
- Life and Accidental Death Insurance
- FSA Commuter Benefits
To apply, please submit the following documents to email@example.com with “Business Development Manager- DC” in the Subject line.
1.) Resume/CV that clearly shows you meet the Qualifications requirements, and
2.) Brief (1 page) cover letter highlighting relevant knowledge and experience in the qualifications’ areas mentioned. (Applicants are encouraged to submit a list of proposals managed, written and successfully submitted during the past 5 years.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
Deadline for Application: Open until filled