Title: Chief of Party for Sahel Resilience Learning Project
Location: Niamey, Niger
Start Date & Duration: June 2019 or later - We expect it to be a 5-year project.
The Mitchell Group (TMG), an international development consulting firm based in Washington, DC, is currently seeking applications from qualified Chief of Party candidates to propose for a Collaboration, Learning and Adapting activity for USAID in Burkina Faso and Niger. To note, this opportunity is in the pre-proposal stage and will only be considered for the proposal stage and successful award of the contract.
The Chief of Party will be responsible for providing overall vision, leadership and guidance of an activity. The Chief of Party shall have principal responsibility for overall activity management and technical operations to ensure that the activity’s tasks are completed, and the objectives of the activity are successfully met. The Chief of Party is expected to lead the Contractor’s team and serve as the primary point of contact with USAID regarding day-to-day activity implementation and management matters relating to the contract. They will have overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided under the Contract, whether by international or local experts/personnel, is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed; and for adequately managing and supervising the work of all experts/personnel provided under the contract. They will be the primary point of contact for information on the progress and status of all activities under the Contract and will establish appropriate mechanisms to ensure that activity progress and specific implementation concerns are regularly and promptly reported. The Chief of Party will manage the preparation and presentation of work plans, M&E plans, articles, and all reports. The Chief of Party should have a strong combination of technical, management and financial experience. Technical experience should include a combination of expertise in the areas of CLA, learning agenda development, analytical research, evaluation, and production of communication products of publishable quality. Experience and/or knowledge of CVE and/or peace promotion is highly preferred.
- Visionary, motivating leadership style with a passion to improve development outcomes in the Sahel
- Desire to be a part of cutting-edge work impacting the effectiveness of peace and development programming across the Sahel region of West Africa
- Ability to work positively in a diverse work environment and under difficult environmental conditions
- Ability to bring out the best in a diverse, multidisciplinary project team
- Strong critical thinking skills, organizational skills and ability to prioritize appropriately
- Strong understanding of the principles and processes of M&E and CLA, particularly in relation to USAID programming
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Strong demonstrated work planning and reporting skills
- Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear and simple manner
- High level of English and French oral and writing skills
- Minimum Master’s degree in international development, social science, agriculture, M&E, political science, economics or other related sectors.
- Minimum 8 years’ in progressive roles of leadership in international development related work
- 5 years Previous project management or other high-level management experience , at the COP DCOP Team Leader, project manager.
- USAID project experience, and strong knowledge of FAR regulations required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in West Africa, preferably in the Sahel
- Minimum of 5 years of significant experience working in the MEL, M&E, or CLA sectors
- Experience and strong understanding of resilience work and concepts
- Experience in designing and organizing multi-stakeholder learning and collaboration events preferred
- Research and evaluation experience strongly preferred
- Experience in conflict mitigation or countering violent extremism is a plus
- High level oral and written French required
- Work experience in multiple countries is required.
Deadline for Application: February 15, 2019