I am retained by Abt Associates to assist them finding a replacement COP for their USAID funded West Africa Trade project below:
Title: Chief of Party (COP) of West Africa Trade and Investment Hub project
Location: Accra, Ghana with frequent travel in West Africa
Start Date: July 1, 2016 or sooner. The project is in 2nd year, of project that will run until Feb 2018, with strong possibilities of a one-year extension.
Abt Associates seeks candidates for the Chief of Party (COP) position on its USAID-funded West Africa Trade and Investment Hub project. The COP will manage the Trade Hub’s entire project portfolio. The position will begin July 1, 2016 or as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
Candidates must demonstrate a record of results in export development, as well as an ability to design and carry out project activities in collaboration with multiple clients and stakeholders. Completely fluent English and French are required. The COP will be based in Accra, Ghana and oversee a staff of over 30 employees based in 3 regional offices. The COP should possess the intellectual, leadership and management skills necessary to develop, articulate and implement a vision for the project. He or she will report to the Project Director in the Abt Associates’ home office in Bethesda, Maryland.
The Trade Hub works through regional private sector associations and regional governmental entities to help channel partners’ efforts to address critical constraints to trade competitiveness, capture opportunities to expand regional and global trade, demonstrate West Africa’s productive potential to investors, and facilitate greater investment in the region.
The project is building the capacity of several key groups of African partners—regional private sector associations and alliances, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), and the Economic and Monetary Union of West Africa (UEMOA). As the Trade Hub works with associations and regional alliances, it helps them serve as leaders in promoting reforms, attracting buyers and investors, and adopting improved practices.
The Trade Hub’s major components are:
- Regional staple foods development (livestock and grains)
- Global value chain development (targeted agro-processing and manufactured consumer goods)
- Finance and investment
- Transport and the trade enabling environment
- Capacity building
- Administration and management, including grants administration.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the overall planning, implementation and management of the project
- Improve and perfect the pre-existing administrative framework to monitor and assure progress toward the achievement of the goals and objectives of the project
- Build a motivated, results-oriented team that is effective in organizing the work and coordinating with partners.
- Assure the timely delivery of assistance under the work plan and coordinate with senior technical staff to assure sharing of relevant technical models, coordination of activities involving neighboring countries, and quality control of the work.
- Coordinate with the DCOP to spend according to plan and assure compliance with USAID regulations.
- Assure clear communications with clients and stakeholders about project activities and accomplishments.
- Coordinate with monitoring staff to assure timely and well-documented data collection, analysis, and reporting in support of the performance management plan.
- Represent Abt and the project to USAID and in public settings.
- Advanced degree (MA/MBA) in export development, trade facilitation, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or related field, with 10-15 years of experience.
- 5 to 10 years of progressively responsible experience in international development, with at least five years of supervisory experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in export promotion or trade facilitation (required).
- Experience with USAID project (required) or other similar donor programs, ideally interacting directly with the donor regarding programmatic, strategic communications, and contractual issues.
- Complete fluency in English and French.
- Multiple country work experience is required;
- Prior work experience in West Africa donor funded projects is highly desired.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervision, problem-solving, and coordination.
Deadline for Application: Closed -
About Abt Associates...... Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates was ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms in 2012 and also named one of the top 40 international development innovators. The company has multiple offices in the U.S. and program offices in nearly 40 countries.
The International Economic Growth (IEG) Division within Abt Associates conducts projects in agriculture, economic development, labor, privatization, environment, climate change and trade. We work in developing countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. Our clients include the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and multilateral financial institutions such as the Inter-American Development Bank and the World Bank.