TITLE: Program Director – Libya, USAID
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Start Date: ASAP, this position is an open full-time ABA staff position and not a proposal hire.
Reports To: Division Director, ROLI
I am recruiting this position on behalf of the American Bar Association (ABA). ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
ABA ROLI is seeking a Libya USAID Program Director, responsible for major program implementation, management and oversight of strategic and tactical elements of the program in the country. The position is currently based in Tunis, Tunisia and reports to the Libya Country Director.The program director would be responsible for the implementation of ABA ROLI’s USAID-funded program “Supporting consensus building for the national dialogue, constitution drafting, and governing process in Libya.” The program is designed to contribute to the reconstruction of the social contract in Libya by providing all Libyans, including women, youth and other marginalized groups with the opportunity to participate in the creation of a revised constitutional framework, effective national institutions, and the social, economic and security conditions necessary for Libyans’ well-being.
This position requires an individual who will be capable of effectively advancing an extremely high volume of time-sensitive and challenging activities, as well as multiple lines of activity simultaneously. Although this is a senior post which includes management responsibilities, the occupant will directly implement program activities with the support of our local staff and other internationals with specialized expertise.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of assigned programs and that all programmatic requirements are being met/exceeded according the ABA, ROLI, and grantor requirements.
- Accountable for all timely, accurate, and compliant in-country programmatic monitoring and reporting.
- Maintains proactive communications with the Country Director and ROLI leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on programs’ activities, achievements, and shortcomings. In area where program shortcomings are identified, creates and implements corrective action plans to improve performance against standards.
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned.
- Collaborates with the Country Director and local authorities to ensure that all programs and operations are compliant with all local laws/regulations and, if required, have received all regulatory licensing/registrations prior to offering the programs.
- Ensures compliance with all donor, ABA, federal, state, and local laws/regulations while managing the program(s). Ensures personal and program compliance with the FCPA.
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, feedback, performance appraisal, and, where appropriate, applies corrective actions to an assigned team.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a JD from an ABA-accredited law school and at least seven (7) years’ experience in program management or business operations which must have included international experience; OR, Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least ten (10) years’ experience in program management or business operations which must have included international experience. NOTE: If law degree is from a non-U.S. law school, the degree program may not be required to be an ABA-accredited law school if the incumbent is not a U.S. citizen.
- Previous experience managing U.S. Government, USAID, NGO, or other similarly funded international grant programs.
- Previous experience in implementing international donor-supported programs which must have included responsibilities for supervision of a team, financial management, and compliance.
- Fluency in English in order to meet the technical and managerial requirements of the program and donor requirements.
- Previous experience working for an association, NGO, or other not- for-profit entity.
- Previous experience implementing programs in MENA and/or Libya preferred.
- Particularly strong political and diplomatic skills.
- Arabic language skills.
Applications at ABA are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Deadline for application: Open until filled.